Can difficulty in breathing, extreme pain and difficulty in bending be symptoms of torn ligaments?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I took a fall on New Years Day on a piece of machinery in a carport. Extreme pain, whether I fractured ribs or torn cartilage, hard sleeping, breathing, coughing, sneezing, bending down, reaching particularly with my right side where I fell. No bruising appeared. I fractured a few ribs a few years ago being rescued up onto a boat. What the symptoms of fractured or torn ligaments? Anything that can be done or basically let it heal?
Posted Wed, 22 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Can be ligament tear or fracture. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. Fall and injury to chest can cause fracture ribs or muscle or ligament strain or internal bruise. This can be detected only on a CT scan or X-ray of the chest. If there is no local swelling or extreme pain on touch indicative of internal bruise then there is nothing worrisome as of now. Any muscle strain or ligament tear will require time to heal and till then you can take any anti inflammatory analgesic containing acetaminophen and ibuprofen for pain relief.Physiotherapy and hot fomentation may provide early relief. If the pain persists or you develop any new symptom like fever, restriction of movement etc. then seek prompt medical consultation .Otherwise just take adequate rest, a healthy diet and plenty of fluids for better healing. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL
Follow-up: Can difficulty in breathing, extreme pain and difficulty in bending be symptoms of torn ligaments? 1 hour later
I do have limited motion, and have hot flashes/sweats, (not due to menopause) and high bp, (I am sure its the pain). In fact, I seem to be in less pain when I am standing, versus sitting up straight or laying flat. The pain goes from back to front, from breast to right above waist. Thinking its more ligaments? Just takes time to heal, correct?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer: More likely to be soft tissue injury. Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for writing again. Yes. The symptoms are more likely to be due to a muscle sprain or a muscular injury rather than a bony injury. It will take time to heal. Avoid doing any painful movements till then. Hope my answer is helpful. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health. Regards