Can dientamoeba fragilis be passed from mother to fetus?

My 3 year old and 15 month old have just been confirmed (via O&P) to have dientamoeba fragilis. The 3 year olds diarrhea has cleared but not the 15 month old. I am 6 weeks pregnant and read on a web-site that the parasite can be passed from mother to fetus and drugs are not safe during preganancy - do you know if this is true
A distrssed pregnant mom
I am 34 - 6 feet - 180lb
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

The infection of dientamoeba fragilis is mainly an infection of the intestines and manifests as diarrhea.

It is spread by oro- fecal route and not by placental transfer. So it does not spread from mother to the growing child.

Both of your children have got the infection due to consumption of same contaminated food simultaneously.

As long as you are not infected there is no need of treatment. Even if you acquire an infection, single dose treatment produces cure in 90% patients. The drug suggested should be avoided in first three months of pregnancy and if needed can be taken after twelve weeks are completed.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: Can dientamoeba fragilis be passed from mother to fetus? 3 hours later
My family physician has recommended that we do not treat the 2 boys as all the medications are in tablet or capsule format and the age of the boys (15 months and 3 1/2 years) plus it is a 20 day treatment. Do you think this is the right thing to do with me being pregnant? How would I know when they were no longer contagious (when the diarrhea becomes formed stool?) Do you think i should have my stool tested even though I don't have symptoms - I've heard you can be infected but asymptomatic.
Thank you so much for your prompt answer to my 1st question - its made me a bit more relaxed
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Regarding the treatment of your sons you can ask your pediatrician as some combination syrups of antiamoebic drugs can be given as per the availability to reduce the symptoms.
You can get your stool examined if you want to clear your doubts regarding the infection.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.