Ask a Urologist   »  

Can delay in surgery for kidney stone removal damage my kidney?

I met with the urologist yesterday and found out I have a kidney stone about 1 in on size. I need to have surgery to remove it. I am concerned because they can't do it till the end of February. can this hurt my kidney to wait so long? I have time when I am in a lot of pain and take pain meds to get through it.
Posted Tue, 21 Jan 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: The earlier the better Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you so much for trusting us with your health query. I am so sorry to hear about this kidney stone that you have. If the stone has not caused completely blockage and still allows urine to drain out without major obstruction, then it might not be of too much harm waiting. However, if it has started having impact on the renal function and structure test, then waiting longer may not be an excellent idea. What were the reports of the ultrasounds and CT scans? Did they report any hydronephrosis? Removing this stone as son as possible is the only guarantee because even a silent stone may cause complications over night. With the pains that are at times very severe, try talking with your doctor to see whether a solution can be arrived at earlier. However, monitoring would help catch any arising problems and address them immediately if need be. I am sure that is what the statement is supposed to that if everything stays the same, then they can wait until end of February. I hope you find this helpful. I wish you well. Thank you so much for using our services and please do feel free to ask for more information if need. I pray that nothing happens leading up to this intended period. I also wish you a very safe and event free surgery. Dr. Ditah, MD.
Follow-up: Can delay in surgery for kidney stone removal damage my kidney? 20 minutes later
She said she thinks a small amt of fluid is passing. I am assuming that if I can't manage the pain with meds then it's time to go to the er. I am planning on stopping my anti inflamitory meds now just in case. The stone that is large is blocking the opening and several small stones attached behind it. When I had this several years ago the stone was the size of a golf ball and they did surgery within 2 weeks.
Brief Answer: Thanks Detailed Answer: Thanks for following up with me. Like we have discussed, I will suggest that you keep them informed with all developments. If need be, they would strongly consider resolving the problem sooner than later. I wish you well. Dr. Ditah, MD