Can costochrondritis cause elevated white blood cell count?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013
Excellent

Neurologist
Question
Can costochrondritis cause elevated white blood cell count? My doctor said my level was 15 compared to the norm of 4-11. Should I be concerned?
Posted Thu, 6 Dec 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 8 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

Costochondritis does not usually lead to elevated white blood cell count. It is an inflammatory condition, leading to pain in the chest wall, and tenderness on pressure. Treatment requires use of analgesics such as ibuprofen or diclofenac.

Regarding your elevated white blood cell count, there is no need to worry. However, you need to watch for any signs of infection, such as fever, cough, burning while passing urine, etc. If none of these are present, there is no need of any further action.

Wishing you good health,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM