Can cold weather cause shortness in breath when suffering from lung disease?

I had a left lung transplant at Cleveland Clinic for idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis on 9/1/2010, at the age of 67. ok so far, but with very cold weather here in Cincinnati, temp down to 0 degees, my SOB has become a fair bit worse. Can cold weather worsen my shortness of breath.
Posted Tue, 28 Jan 2014 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Considerations Detailed Answer: Hello and thank you for submitting your question. Cold weather is a notorious cause of shortness of breath & difficulty berating for individuals with and without lung disease. In such extreme cold and dry weather, it is important to limit breathing the frigid air for prolonged times. If you must be exposed to the elements, try to wrap your mouth & nose with a scarf. It is also very important for you to be extra vigilant regarding your respiratory and overall health during this time given your past medical history. If you are experiencing persistent significant breathing difficulty or if your symptoms worsen, please make sure to schedule an appointment with your pulmonologist or primary care physician immediately. Thank you for submitting your question--stay warm! Take care, Dr G