Can clicking/squeaking sound in the knees while excersising be an indication of arthritis?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hello Doctor, My wife recently got her Vitamin D levels checked and they are around 9.53 ng/ml. I understand this is severe deficiency. She also joined a gym sometime in August and post that, she is getting a clicking/squeaking sound in her right knee. Her mother is suffering from arthritis and we were wondering, if the noise in the knee is an onset of some form of arthritis?Any tests you suggest to put our fears to rest?
Posted Sun, 12 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 4 hours later
Brief Answer: You may need to do X-ray knee and MRI knee. Detailed Answer: Hello, There is nothing to worry about the clicking/squeaking sound unless it is painful. Yes it can due to start of early arthritis to rule out this you may need to do X-ray knee and MRI knee. If there is early osteoarthritis of your knee on MRI, she can start cartilage protecting medication like chondritin sulphate [Cartigen DN] once daily. Physiotherapy like ultrasound and tens will help, along with knee exercises Take vitamin D supplement for low vit D level. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care.