Can cervical disc problems cause pain?

For a week now, I have been having pain in my neck, shoulder, down my arm, in my elbow and in my wrist and hand. The pain comes and goes and alternates where it is on my arm. It also alternates between a burning, tingling, sharp pain, and a numb-like feeling. Sometimes my arm/hand feel tight and sometimes it feels like it takes effort to hold things, although I haven't noticed any loss of strength. Pain is mostly at top and back of shoulder, right side of neck, outside of right elbow, and outside of forearm, top and bottom of wrist and top of hand and outside of hand.

I had a few weeks of neurological issues a few months ago where they were looking for MS. They did not see any signs of MS, but did notice a bulging disk in my cervical spine. Those symptoms (pain in my whole body, twitching, tiredness) have since all dissappeared.

I am 34, female, in good health with a history of anxiety.
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 28 hours later

The symptoms you have described are partly due to Cervical disc problems.

Most of it are probably not related to it.

In addition to the cervical disc pain you may be having both the upper limbs to confirm the diagnosis of Carpal Tunnel syndrome (a condition where one of the nerve called Median nerve gets trapped at the level of the wrist joint) which is common in females in the middle aged group.

You have to do shoulder and neck muscles strengthening exercises to prevent worsening of the cervical spondylosis.

Avoid twisting movements of the wrist joint and keep it as straight as possible while you are asleep.

I hope your query has been addressed.

I will be available for your follow up queries if any.