Can cerebral palsy - spastic diplegia in both legs be completely treated ?

Sir, my six year old son is suffering from Cerebral Palsy in terms of Spastic Diplegia in both legs from birth. Constant physiotherapy is going on since at the age of 2-1/2 years. There has been some improvement, but the main factor remains i.e. he is still not been able to stand and walk. He has no other problem except this. In the mean time we had gone to Apollo/Hyderabad at the age of 2-1/2 yrs, they suggested physiotherapy. After few years we also went to Udaipur for surgery but didn’t considered due to lack of specialized diagonosis. So, will u pl suggest on following points in order to obtain main objective:-1. Consideration of alternative treatment like surgery, bootox etc. & which treatment would be more successful 2. How much time will take to recover. Pl also provide the address of genuine specialized hospitals/doctors in India.
How much days will be required for complete treatment. Also furnish the estimated cost.
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 31 minutes later

The most probable reasons for spastic diplegia in CP are
1) Preterm baby born before 37 weeks of pregnancy, in few before 12 weeks prior to the expected date of delivery
2) Full term baby with abnormal delivery method, breech presentation, forceps etc.

Usually there is hemorrhage inside the brain that can cause the spastic diplegia.

Did your doctor say anything about the above? Was it a preterm or abnormal delivery?

Early diagnosis is the key, I do not understand why the rehab process was not started till 2 1/2 yrs of age. Since your child has not other problems the prognosis should be good.

If there is severe involvement of the motor system, then there can be residual disability.

To answer your questions
1) Surgery and Botox are recent entries in the treatment modalities of CP
2) The recovery time is not bracketed for any of the treatment modalitites.

You can follow this link, where you can get more information, Dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX from Bangalore WWW.WWWW.WW and information about recent advances WWW.WWWW.WW

You can directly contact the centre RECOUP in Bangalore and take it forward.

I pray for his faster recovery.

Follow-up: Can cerebral palsy - spastic diplegia in both legs be completely treated ? 2 hours later
1. It was pre-term delivery.
2. Doctor earlier told that this is a case of CP, accordingly different types of Physiotherapy was going on as Rehab process with no great success. So other than this,what kind of Rehab process are u referring?
3.Apart from Dr XXXXXXX Saran, is there any other renowned hospitals located at Kolkata/Delhi.
4. Is there Specialized Govt. Hospitals for CP in India?
Follow-up: Can cerebral palsy - spastic diplegia in both legs be completely treated ? 25 hours later
1. Your referred Dr. XXXXXXX Chatterjee as a Pediatric Orthopedician at ICH/Kolkata, I didn't find his name in the Faculty list of ICH/Kolkata website.
2. What i found his name as a Gastroenterologists
Pl confirm this (May be i wrong).
3. I shall be thankfull if u could provide their's (both referred Doctors) contact no/Mail-Id, so that i may gather complete information before proceeding.
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 1 hour later

Dr. XXXXXXX is a renowned Orthopedician in Kolkata, with special interest in Pediatric Orthopedics. You can find him in Parkclinic Kolkata or Pearless Hospital as HOD, Department of Orthopedics.

What I meant is you need a team and not a single individual. The Orthopedician will be a driver of the team.

ICH Kolkata, Pediatric Orthopedics is a sub department of Pediatric Surgery. You may contact the hospital for further details. It has a reputation of being the first Pediatric Institute in India. The chances of all the experts under one roof is immense.

The other options I could search in Kolkata are these:

KOLKATA - 0000,
Ph: 033 0000

2) Rehabilitation Centre for Children
59, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX Road, Barisha, Kolkata - 8
Ph: 033 - 0000 / 6986

Choose a centre which has all the facilities under one roof, like Pediatric physio, Psychotherapist, Ped Neurologist and Ped Orthopedician.

Hope it helps.