Can burning sensation in upper abdomen be symptoms of pancreatitis?

Question
I have been having some discomfort/burning sensation in my upper abdomen just left from the center. Can this be pancreatitis? My stomach is not tender to touch.
Posted Thu, 13 Feb 2014 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Prasad 6 hours later
Brief Answer: Try antacid and prilosec... Detailed Answer: Hi, Pancreatitis also present with upper abdominal pain. It can be confirmed with clinical examination, amylase/lipase tests and ultrasound abdomen. But before you go ahead with the test, you should try antacid such as tums and proton pump inhibitor (prilosec OTC). Perhaps this is just gastritis and would respond to the above regimen. Your local doctor / ER doctors will know about those tests. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarification. Regards

Follow-up: Can burning sensation in upper abdomen be symptoms of pancreatitis? 9 hours later
Thank you - I took pepcid ac maximum strength. How many times can I take that in a day?

Answered by Dr. Prasad 11 hours later
Brief Answer: Once a day... Detailed Answer: Pepcid ac maximum strength is for once a day use. For best results, the tablets need to be continued for a week or two. And make sure you take this on empty stomach; avoid tums and other antacid with this medicine. I hope your get relieved from this abdominal ache very soon. Hope this helped. Regards

Follow-up: Can burning sensation in upper abdomen be symptoms of pancreatitis? 1 minute later
Can ibs causr gerd ?

Answered by Dr. Prasad 40 minutes later
Brief Answer: Symptoms overlap... Detailed Answer: There is considerable overlap between symptoms of IBS and GERD. Often I find people suffering from both, so I am unable to predict whether IBS triggered GERD or GERD was the precurson. However since both are managed with similar lifestyle changes, I would suggest you to treat GERD with right medicines. Most likely you should feel better from IBS also. Hope this is clear. Regards

Yes thanks! Are there more serious symptoms i need to watch for?

Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer: GERD and IBS are controllable... Detailed Answer: Both GERD and IBS can be kept under control with medicines and life style change. It rarely causes complications. I am not worried about those. However if the pain doesn't respond to pepcid and if you develop fresh untolerable symptoms such as nausea, abdominal distention, loose stool, fever or constipation, it would be worthwhile to consult a doctor. Wish you good health.... Regards