Can blockage in bile duct be indication of a tumor?

Excellent

Gastroenterologist
Question
Please help me I am out of my mind with worry. I had my gallbladder removed by laprascopic cholecystectomy 18 months ago. I recovered well after this. Unfortunately I have started with similar pain again and was sent for an ultrasound scan which has found a blockage in my bile duct and a fatty liver. I am worried to death the blockage is a tumour. I am being sent for a MRI scan waiting for the appointment. If it was some kind of tumour would the scan be done much quicker? Can they tell on the ultrasound scan if it is a tumour. Please help me asap I am sat here in a state crying.
Posted Mon, 3 Mar 2014 in Liver and Gall Bladder

Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Kindly provide your ultrasound report... Detailed Answer: Hi my dear, Before running into conclusions, I gently ask to have your ultrasound report. That could help me assist you further. Please bare in mind that if it was a tumor, then, the doctors would have notice anything in the ultrasound. The accuracy of ultrasound is around 85% while of MRI is up to 92%. So, please try to stay calm until the MRI results. It is normal to have pain after gallbladder removal due to gallbladder stones of intrahepatic pathways (or sludge). The second reason is related to secondary blockage in the bile duct due to inflammatory strictures. These are common complications after gallbladder removal. Looking forward to have your ultrasound report in! Thank you! Dr.Klerida

Follow-up: Can blockage in bile duct be indication of a tumor? 12 minutes later
I have sent you my ultrasound scan report. Please get back to me asap, my gallbladder was removed in May 2012

Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 3 hours later
Brief Answer: No mass noticed,wait for MRCP results... Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thank you for following up. I have seen the report of abdominal ultrasound you did, and can admit that it was a very difficult examination most probably due to gas in the intestines. However, it was seen that the intrahepatic biliary pathways are dilated and fatty liver. I strongly suggest to run MRCP to further evaluate CBD together with pancreas. As there was no localized collection, the site of cholecystectomy is clear, nothing to be worried about. To my opinion, it might be CBD sludge or inflammation, however MRCP will give more details. Please stay calm as no mass was noticed in ultrasound. All the best! Dr.Klerida Looking forward to have the results of your MRCP (when done). Thank you!

Follow-up: Can blockage in bile duct be indication of a tumor? 9 hours later
The following sentence worries me. You really dont think it is cancer do you? Also there is a doubtful area in the head of the pancreas which has been described as subtle. This is a limitation on ultrasound and needs further imaging by CT scan or MRI scan

Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 23 hours later
Brief Answer: Following suggestions to your queries. Detailed Answer: Hi back XXXXXXX The "doubtful" area in the head of the pancreas does not necessarily mean that it is a cancer. As pancreas is a hidden organ (located deep in the abdomen and between the stomach - anterior and spinal cord - posterior). So, ultrasound can only "catch" little information about the pancreas (head, body, tale) only in cases where the patient is well prepared. In other words, you are supposed to not been eating for 10 hours and have no gas. In your case, ultrasound was "reported difficult due to body habitus" , so a further MRCP is needed to evaluate further your real problem. To my opinion, it might be pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas) due to sludge. However, should wait for the MRCP results. Hope it was of help! Dr.Klerida