Can birth control pills cause high blood pressure?

I do not find your question / problem here. Please type your detailed query and I am available for the answer.

Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Tulasi Raman.P 3 hours later

Yes, though 'diuretic drugs' ('waterpill') will reduce blood pressure, it should only be taken only after consultation with your doctor as these drugs are known to produce electrolyte imbalance in the system particularly potassium deficiency. Moreover we have better class of drugs to control blood pressure these days without such side-effects.

As you have not mentioned anything in the medication history, I presume you are not any anti-hypertensive drugs till date. And your blood pressure readings is quite high indicating the possibility of you having Hypertension. So I suggest to get yourself evaluated and start on treatment (if required) for the same.

Since you have stopped birth control pills for two weeks by now it would have been completely washed away from your system.

Breathlessness on exertion needs to be evaluated. The cause for this could range from a simple case of anemia to more serious conditions like angina. So I suggest you get few blood test done like Complete Blood Count and ECG. Based on the findings of these reports we can proceed further.

I hope my answer has been adequate and informative. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.