Can bilateral grade 1 varicocele cause permanent infertility?

Infertility Specialist
Hello, I am XXXXXXX 31years old man/Unmarried. Currently, I am with a marriage plan soon so before that, i thought to have premarital checkups. My doctor, who is an urologist has suggested some number of tests on month of Nov, 2012. Everything gone well except 1 test, that is Semen analysis test. The semen analysis test which i had done on month of November, 2012 has following measures: 1) Sperm count: 67 mill/ml 2) Normal forms: 94% 3) Motility - Progressive: 55% 4) Pus cells: 10-15 Referring to the measures, he advised me some antibiotics for 15 days to treat pus cells. After the above course, before my review consultation, I have done 2 tests like: semen analysis and Doppler scrotal test. The current semen analysis test measures are: 1) Sperm count: 40 mill/ml 2) Normal forms: 97% 3) Motility - Progressive: 60% 4) Pus cells: 1-2 The measures of current Doppler scrotal test. Bilateral grade 1 varicocele Now my questions are: 1) Is Bilateral grade 1 varicocele is severely to damage my sexuality and fertility? 2) Is Bilateral grade 1 varicocele the reason for my sperm count from the previous lab result, which I had done a month back difference? (though my current life style and personal life are really stressful) 3) Is Bilateral grade 1 varicocele can cause permanent infertility? 4) If Bilateral grade 1 varicocele not treated then is there any chances to develop further grades of varicocele? 5) Any oral medication can help me to treat Bilateral grade 1 varicocele? 6) As per the lab references my sperm count is normal but what should be the sperm count measures for a health 31 year old man and for healthy fertility? 7) Finally, my doctor said that, I should go for a micro surgery to treat Bilateral grade 1 varicocele.. But I not faith completely on this as: a) I came to know from the radiologist, who did may scanning as: Bilateral grade 1 varicocele is common and does not required any treatment. people can maintain a healthy married life by having Bilateral grade 1 varicocele. b) Additionally, it is well know to me as I have this Bilateral grade 1 varicocele from last 2 years but at that time my sperm count was almost 90mill/ml but it falling to 50% less may be some other reasons? Please suggest on the above queries and suggest also what shall i do now as i d not have much time left for the surgery and surgery also fells me risky. thanks, XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 24 Jan 2014 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 1 hour later
Brief Answer: normal Detailed Answer: Hi You are perfectly healthy young man. You just had minor infection which was treated by antibiotics. Now your semen analysis is in normal range. Dont bother about it. Varicocele grade 1 is in many men and is perfectly normal. Stop worrying about it as it has not affected your semen. You are as healthy as an Olympic athlete. You don't need any surgery to correct varicocele. Your sperm count varies between 40 to 100 million. It is normal variations and good enough to have a child. Let me know if you have any more questions. Regards Dr. Mahesh Koregol