Can beta glucans 1, 3/1, 6 cause a gout flare up?

Dec 2012

can the supplement beta1,3/1,6 cause a gout flare up
Posted Wed, 6 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 3 hours later

Thank you for posting on HCM

I will first of all say that Beta glucans (1,3/1,6) are likely safe for most adults when taken by mouth or when the intravenous solution is used for a short time period.

The potential side effects of beta glucans, when taken by mouth, are not known. When used by injection, beta glucans can cause chills, fever, pain at the injection site, headache, back and joint pain , nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, dizziness, high or low blood pressure, flushing, rashes, decreased number of white blood cells, and increased urine. People with AIDS who take beta glucans have developed thickening of the skin of the hands and feet. There are no information on whether they can cause gouty arthritis. It medical indication use, shows that can even be used to threat some forms of arthritis.

On the other hand, if you are having gout attacks while on the supplement, I will suggest you stop using for a while and observe if you still present with the gout crisis. If they persist, then you will have to consult your doctor and receive treatment for gout.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need more clarifications.

Dr Nsah