Can augmentin and rocephin interfere with std tests?

will antibiotic mess up a std test like syphilis hiv or hepatitis test ? I been on augmentin and rocephin.i been off of them for 4 days
Posted Fri, 1 Mar 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. P V S Prasad 28 hours later
Thanks for posting your query. Antibiotics will definitely alter VDRL test, but not immediately. It will take at least three months to alter the reports. If one needs to confirm syphilis, irrespective of taking antibiotics you need to undergo TPHA test for syphilis. This test if it is once positive it is ever positive.
Regarding question number two, HIV and antibiotics, the drugs will not alter the positivity of HIV infection as it is purely caused by virus and antibiotics have no role against a viral infection.
Hepatitis infection is also like HIV a viral infection not altered by taking antibiotics.
I hope I have made the point clear.
Have a good day
Prasad PVS
Follow-up: Can augmentin and rocephin interfere with std tests? 7 hours later
I was augmemtin and rocephin been off them for about 9days the syphilis test was a rpr test. U think it be fine? I got tested from french kissing a girl. We been french kissing on and off for awhile.i guess maybe 40 times all together. It been six week sinse i kissed her. U think the test be fine?i been of the augmentin longer
Answered by Dr. P V S Prasad 40 hours later
Thanks for your next specific question. You have taken powerful antibiotics for nine days. I am sure that it is enough and you need not continue. However syphilis has an incubation period of up to a maximum of 100 days. Hence you need to repeat the test after another 60 days. You also may do TPHA test which is more reliable than RPR test. Even though I think it may turn out to be negative it is better to abstain for next 60 days and do the test as per advice.
good day
Prasad PVS