Can an ear infection cause mild dizziness if not treated ?

When I was 7 or 8, I had an ear infection and I did not take all of my medication. Apparently, it damaged my ears somehow. Lately, I have been experiencing some light dizzy spells. I had my friend's doctor look in my ear the last time this happened and he said my eardrum looked dull. I drove to the store earlier tonight and once I stopped, I felt moderately dizzy and I am still feeling that way, but it's more of a mild dizziness now. I do suffer from panic and anxiety as well regarding my health and have a morbid fear of of having heart related issues and a bp cuff (weird I know)! Can you please ease my mind at all that this is just related to my inner ear? Thank you.
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Vidya Muralidhar 1 hour later

The dizziness you experience is most probably related to the inner ear.You may need medications to control the dizzy feeling which will act specifically on your inner ear and monitor the equilibrium. Most often minor fluid changes and pressure changes in the ear can cause mild dizziness. This may also be controlled with simple ear maneuveres which an ENT specialist would demonstrate and teach you.

It would be better if you could get your blood pressure checked. There is nothing to be worried about , even if the blood pressure points on the higher side , it can certainly be brought down with medications, diet and life style modifications.I understand your concern about the heart and the BP cuff , there is no need to be anxious, it is too early to say that there is an underlying heart problem.

Meanwhile I also suggest you get a general examination . Routine blood tests for blood counts, anemia, infection and blood sugar with urine tests would be helpful in finding the cause of your symptoms.

I suggest you drink good amount of fluids and water daily. Most often dizziness is due to dehydration or low blood pressure due to reduced fluids in the body.Do not set out or spend too much time under the sun , prefer to remain indoor. Whenever you feel dizzy, make sure you lie down immediately and take good amount of rest. Get at least 7 hrs of sleep daily.

Hope this answers your query. I am available for follow ups as well.