Can an anesthesia cause memory loss?

question regarding memory loss to to general anethesia given to me during back surgery in 2010. I am still suffering from the problem and no one can give me an answer other than it is an OTC sleep aid I take due to my husbands snoring, I have stopped and the memory loss persists. Everyone insists it was not the anethesia, I feared Alzheimers so I had and evaluation done by a Ph.D. in Neuropsychology, conclusion was the OTC sleep aid......I stopped th OTC and the memory loss continues. If not the anethesia then what? That was my question in case you can't find it. I am seeing a endrocrinologist tomorrow to what my PCP thinks is a Tyroid imbalance. Thank you for you time, patience and assistance
Posted Fri, 21 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Thanks for taking the patience to post! Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for making the pains and patience to repost your health query. I am so sorry to hear about this memory loss. It is very unusual for anesthesia to cause memory loss persisting and going on for years. Have never heard or even witnessed this all my practice and medical interactions. There are several different possible causes of memory loss. But before we get there, can you please , describe some of the difficulties you have with your memory? Memory loss can be caused by a certain number of different conditions. Some of them include vitamin B12 deficiency, normal pressure hydrocephalus, hypothyroidism, Alzheimer's and other conditions that cause brain tissue degeneration. When dementia is first reported, the reflex is to investigate for possible causes of reversible memory loss that I have mentioned above. I will like to see these investigated and ruled out. Blood tests and imaging studies of the brain would provide insights about these. It seems you are so worried about this memory loss? Who has told you this before or what are some of the things that bring about this notion of memory loss in you? I will like to get some and understand the context. How concerned you are about this can in itself enforce and worsen the symptoms related to this condition. Have you had a neurological examination and mental evaluation? I hope this helps. Let me know what your doctor settles on after examination and investigations. dementia is often glaring and the difficulty establishing the diagnosis here before talking of the cause is what am not comfortable with. I wish you well. Feel free to as me more questions and clarifications if need be. Dr. Ditah, MD.