Can alcohol cause Polycythemia?

can drinking guinness over the years cause Polycythemia?
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 48 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.

The short answer to your question is no. However we must consider the specifics of your query.

Guiness as you know contains alcohol. If you consume one or two pints a week then certainly it is unlikely to have a detrimental effect. If however you consume this beverage daily it may have long term effects on your liver. It does not however have a direct link to polycythemia.

There is a much stronger link of polycythemia to smoking. If you happen to smoke then this may be a consideration.

Alcohol is generally not considered to be a risk factor for developing polycythemia.

I thank you again for the query. I hope this response has been clear an informative. If you have additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

De. Galamaga