Can abdominal cramps and lower back pain be indications of irritable bowel syndrome?

Hello, I am a 53 year old female, on menopause since the age of 45, have been having abdominal cramps all over the abdomen but specifically on the upper left quadrant and in the pelvic area as well as lower back pain. Have had colonoscopy last year as well as endoscopy and all came back negative. My abdomen is bloated and seems a little hard. Could this be IBS? I am going for thyroid surgery on Friday and am concerned.
Posted Tue, 28 Jan 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Anxiety&thyroid problems cause abdominal discomfor Detailed Answer: Hi my dear, I read your query and understood your concerns. The cramping you are having in the abdomen and lower back pain could be related to the generalized anxiety you are experiencing prior to operation; otherwise, called IBS (irritable bowel syndrome from anxiety/stress). You are saying to get a thyroid surgery. Could you please refer the exact problem you have (diagnosis) with your thyroid. Very often, the thyroid problems are also associated with GI problems. I am glad to come to know that the endoscopy and colonoscopy of last year did not report any problem with your GI tract. Wishing good luck in the operation! Dr.Klerida
Follow-up: Can abdominal cramps and lower back pain be indications of irritable bowel syndrome? 37 minutes later
I have a 5.2 cm nodule on the left lobe and a 3 cm nodule on the right lobe. Thyroid bloods are normal but nodules keep growing so it was suggested that I remove the thyroid. I am very concerned with the cramping and pain in the abdomen as well as the bloating and back pain as it brings me to think of bad things like stomach cancer or ovarian cancer. Please help!
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Bloating&abdominal discomfort due to stress... Detailed Answer: Hi back my dear, Thank you for following up. What I can see from your medical reports, all the abdominal discomfort you are experiencing is related to the pre-operatory stress. Try to get relaxed as much as you can before the operation! Everything will be ok after the operation is done! Good luck my dear! Dr.Klerida