Can abdomen pain radiating to back be due to pancreatic cancer?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2014
May 2014

Radiologist
Question
I had a clean CT scan on sept 8 of this year. Ive been having pain in my upper abdomen that goes into back for the last few weeks. Scared i have pancreas cancer Im 25 years old.
Posted Sat, 28 Dec 2013 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 54 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX dubajic, Thanks for writing in to us. I have read through your query in detail. The commonest cause of pain in the upper abdomen is gastric or duodenal ulcer. CT scan picks up problems with liver, spleen, pancreas, gall bladder, kidneys, intestines, urinary bladder and any other possible causes of your pain. Please do not worry about pancreas if CT scan abdomen is normal. CT scan is not an optimum investigation to evaluate gastric ulcer or duodenal ulcer. You must get an upper gastrointestinal endoscopy to evaluate the stomach and duodenum for ulcers. It is a simple office procedure and is done by a gastroenterologist. If gastric or duodenal ulcer is confirmed you must take small feeds at regular intervals and stop taking alcohol and spices for sometime, in addition to taking medications. Hope your query is answered. Do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek

Follow-up: Can abdomen pain radiating to back be due to pancreatic cancer? 6 hours later
I had the CT scan done just over 3 months ago, nothing could have developed since then?

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Least likely to develop in 3 months. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX dubajic, Thanks for writing in with an update. If the CT scan was done 3 months back and for similar problems, it is least likely that anything cancerous would have developed in the pancreas since then. You may request a second reading of your CT scan if desired. I would like to know why you have cancer of pancreas running in your mind. Did any close family member have the disease? Or is it just the pain and some information collected online and through friends which make you think of cancer of pancreas. A CT scan shows any disease measuring up to 5 mm in size and if you got a normal report, there shouldn't be any reason to worry. Keeping in mind the pain in upper abdomen, you may get evaluated for stomach or duodenal ulcers as mentioned in earlier reply. Hope your query is answered. Do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek

Follow-up: Can abdomen pain radiating to back be due to pancreatic cancer? 1 hour later
I do go online and read alot about things with that type of cancer being one of them. I got the ct done because i was having similar pain and lost some weight. Im just very nervous.

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 10 hours later
Brief Answer: Please do not worry Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX dubajic, Thanks for writing in with an update. Cancer is one of the most feared diseases. Pancreatic cancer is a disease which is detected late in many patients and there is loss of weight and pain as you have read online. However, please do not worry because a CT scan should pick up any problem with pancreas in most patients. Wishing you good health. Regards, Dr.Vivek