Can a tonsil become enlargeds and dislodged?

Rheumatologist
Question
Hi. My 7 year old daughter has a tonsil that appears to be bigger than the other one. It actually looks to be out of its normal position. Can a tonsil become dislodged? It seems to be resting on the back of her tongue and wiggles around when she moves it. I have an appointment with an ENT on Tuesday. Is it ok to wait until then? Can it present a choking hazard?
Posted Wed, 5 Feb 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 56 minutes later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Madam, Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX Well looking into your problem I would like to tell you that it is possible for one tonsil to be enlarged than the other but as you mention it is mobile is something weird , if that is right it may be some cyst or mass with a stalk which makes it is so mobile . It does not seem to be possible for a tonsil to be dislodged , but if your child is suffering from sleep disturbance or snoring then it is a sign of obstructive symptoms that need to be seen . If any of these is present immediate consultation should be sought otherwise you can wait . In my opinion you should see a doctor early because it cannot be commented what the structure is really about which we are talking without examination . Take care. Dr. Shruti

Follow-up: Can a tonsil become enlargeds and dislodged? 3 minutes later
Does this help at all?

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Madam, It is tonsil only may be tonsillar abscess can also be there , but in my opinion it doesnt look like it will dislodge , so dont worry about that . But make sure you will see a doctor early because anything can be said after examination only. Dr. Shruti

Follow-up: Can a tonsil become enlargeds and dislodged? 1 minute later
Ok. Thank you .

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Madam, If I would have been of any help to you , it gives me immense pleasure. Dr. Shruti