Can a skin graft be taken off immediately if I do not like it?

Dermatologist
Question
Can a skin graft be taken off immediately if i dont like it? Or i have to wait until it heal? I have already decided to remove it. Just font know when is the best time to remove it. Please help. Thanks
Posted Tue, 26 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 35 minutes later
Brief Answer: details below Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the query Skin grafting is done after Abrasion of the normal skin. If you try to remove it, there can be scars. Even then if you want to remove, it should be done at the earliest. If you wait long ,the graft will take up. Let me know if you have any other doubts. Thank you

Follow-up: Can a skin graft be taken off immediately if I do not like it? 13 minutes later
Thanks doctor. I have the graft on for 2 weeks already. Is it too late to take it off? I have already decided to remove it. It is too ugly and changed my identity completely.

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 5 hours later
Brief Answer: details below Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for the follow up. Its not that late, you can go for removal. I suggest you to XXXXXXX a doctor for removal. Let me know if You have any other doubts. Thank you

Follow-up: Can a skin graft be taken off immediately if I do not like it? 7 hours later
The graft is very hard and crusty now. Is it still ok to remove it at this stage? After removing the graft and stitch the wound back, will the scar become very thick? I have got another question. The donor site of the graft is behind the ear. Now my ear is pulled back to very close to my skull and i feel very tight. Will the ear spring back to its original position later?

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 8 hours later
Brief Answer: details below Detailed Answer: Hello. Yes there will be scarring. Thickness of scar will depend on the area grafted and the depth to which skin was abraded. The ear will come forward but it will take time also you will have to take care to slightly pull and massage the ear daily to prevent stricture. Feel free to ask any other doubts. Thank you

Follow-up: Can a skin graft be taken off immediately if I do not like it? 10 hours later
If i remove the graft, can i redo a new graft at the same time and put it to a better position and angle? Or i have to wait for a certain period before i can put a new graft?

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer: details below Detailed Answer: Hello Yes another grafting can be done now. Only thing is that the donor site has to be different. Please consult your plastic surgeon. Thank you

Follow-up: Can a skin graft be taken off immediately if I do not like it? 5 hours later
Is that mean i can remove the old graft and put a new graft at the same time? What if the old graft area is too big and i want to put a smaller new graft? Can it be done?

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer: details below Detailed Answer: Hello Yes both these works can be done at same time. However the remaining portion of old grafted area will undergo scarring. thank you

Follow-up: Can a skin graft be taken off immediately if I do not like it? 14 hours later
So u think it is not too early to remove yhe graft now? If the graft is removed and just stitch the wound back, will my eyes return to the original eyes?

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 10 hours later
Brief Answer: details below Detailed Answer: Hello Yes it will heal much better now. The fresher the wound the better is healing. So go for removal now and better get a new grafting also done. Thank you

Follow-up: Can a skin graft be taken off immediately if I do not like it? 17 hours later
I have asked the surgeon But she said she cant remove the graft until it is completely healed. Is that true? Im confused. Is it easier to separate the graft and my eyelid skin earlier or later? Please advise. Thanks.

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 4 hours later
Brief Answer: details below Detailed Answer: Hello Can you please upload a photograph of the grafted area. This will help me in giving you a better suggestion. It is important to see the lesion for deciding what Best Can be Done. Waiting for your response thank you

Follow-up: Can a skin graft be taken off immediately if I do not like it? 6 minutes later
Please see attached photobof the graft. Do u think it is ok to remove it at this stage?

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: details below Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the photograph. I can see Still there is lot of crust. Under antibiotic cover these crusts can be removed. After another 7 to 10 days fresh graft can be  put . Your surgeon has asked you to wait so that the skin totally heals and then a new graft can be put. Ask him to at least remove the crust so your face looks good. Another grafting may be Done later. Well in my view, the graft is not looking that bad. I will advice you to continue with it for another month. It may contract and fit on your eye lid. So why to remove it? Just give it a thought. thank you.