Can a pinched nerve cause throat numbness while swallowing or could it be Bulbar onset?

ENT Specialist
42 year old female. with sudden onset of left side of throat feels numb when swallowing. the muscles in my neck move when i swallow because i feel them but its numb. I have been stressed out about ALS. i had an EMG which were normal but i do have hyper reflexes on both sides I believe. Could a pinched nerve cause this throat numbness or could it be Bulbar onset?
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 2 hours later

Well, there are many causes for the numbness of throat. It includes neural involvement, muscular involvement, central cause(bulbar palsy), local cause etc.

Out of these causes, the reason of sudden onset numbness is most probably a local cause, because the chances of nerve involvement are rare, and it usually manifests late.

Suggestion for this condition--

1- Consult an ENT surgeon, get an endoscopic examination done to rule out any local cause.

2- Take methylcobalamine supplements.

3- Take antioxidant once a day.

4- Avoid taking cold and oily diet.

Follow all these instructions for next 15-20 days, and I believe you will be fine.

Hope this answer will help you. I am ready to answer your future follow ups ( if any).

Follow-up: Can a pinched nerve cause throat numbness while swallowing or could it be Bulbar onset? 16 hours later
I wanted to just add a few things. I have also started before the throat went numb( which has been 1 month now) but I have muscle twitches and tremors also. Thats what made me think ALS. Any additional thoughts on this with the twitches and tremors included... I had an endoscopy a few months ago because of acid reflux, that turned out to be normal. Still have the reflux though.. Thanks again!
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 28 hours later
Hi ,

Thanks again,

Well, your endoscopy suggests the condition called as gastroesophageal reflux disease. Your symptoms may be related to GERD. I do not find them concerning. So do not worryl.

I suggest you to change your diet habits.

1- Avoid spicy and oily foods.
2- Take plenty of fluids.
3- You may use some antacid 1 tsf thrice a day before food.

Don/t worry. You should be doing well.

Hope this helps you.