Can a liver biopsy be safely given to a patient if he is on a ventilator?

Can a liver biopsy be safely given to a patient if he is on a ventilator
Posted Wed, 28 Aug 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 24 minutes later
Yes, a liver biopsy can be safely done even if a patient is on ventilator provided it is done under ultrasound guidance and the blood clotting parameters are within normal limits. Still, there are inherent risks of liver biopsy like bleeding, infection, lung perforation, which will be there.
hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer further followup queries, if any.