Can a fractured tendon in the toe be fixed ?

hi. I have a fracture of the fifth proximal phalanx. left foot , small toe. and a cut tendon in the toe. can the fracture be fixed and can the tendon be reattached. this fracture is 5 years old. it is driving me nuts. my insurance company ran me around and now i am looking on my own for someone to fix it.could you call me at 604-833-5237 with an answer. i have xrays and an mri report. can fax.
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Follow-up: Can a fractured tendon in the toe be fixed ? 4 minutes later
i would like to get this fixed. i had a surgeon who was going to fix it but the insurance company said no. I am done with the insurance company and would like this fixed. thanks
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 23 minutes later

This is Dr Raju A T from XXXXXXX , We have forwarded your query to Dr Sangeet XXXXXXX consultant Orthopedician.
The specialist has asked for the MRI reports and reports of related tests of the injury you sustained , which will help him to opine better.

Do mail them to YYYY@YYYY with Sub : Attn Dr Sangeet.

Anticipating your response.
Follow-up: Can a fractured tendon in the toe be fixed ? 10 hours later
I have sent MRI report of left foot. Please go through it and send in your suggestions
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 12 minutes later
Hello and thanks again.

Please find the reply from Dr. Sangeet, XXXXXXX Consultant Orthopedic Surgeon.

I have looked into the MRI reports. "Don't worry, your toe will be fine".

It seems that your 5th toe is risen above the rest.
1. Is it painful ?
2. Do you have a problem with its appearance ?
3. Do you have a problem with shoe fitting?

In my opinion, the problem could be fixed by surgery. The surgeon would remove the fibrous tissues between those 'Ununited bones' and fix them with a steel pin. The 'Avulsed tendon' would then be reattached. Though post surgery you may not have the normal movements of that toe. It may become go stiff. But it would definitely be painless and you will be able to function normally without 5th toe movements.

So as suggested by your surgeon, I suggest that you get operated. The cost of the surgery usually is reasonable when compared to other major surgery. It would be much cheaper when done in developing countries such as India or Malaysia.

I hope my answer is both adequate and informative. I am available for your follow up queries.

Dr. Sangeet Gangadharan
Follow-up: Can a fractured tendon in the toe be fixed ? 42 hours later
i had a surgeon who was going to remove the fibrous tissue and drill a hole in each bone and mend the two bones together with a dossolvable stitching or metal wire and sew up the torn tendon. my insurance company said no. that is why i am looking elswhere. do you know anyone in canada who is a foot specialist. where are you located and can you do this surgery with a local anistetic and what is the cost in u.s. dollars. thanks..look forward to your response. thanks. my foot hurts all the time and worse with movement. appearance and shoe fit are a problem but I just want it fixed cause it is driving me crazy.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 25 hours later
Hello again,

Please find the reply from Dr Sangeet, XXXXXXX Consultant in Orthopedics.

Thanks for your reply. Please calm down.

Your toe will be just fine and its only a matter of time.

As rightly advised by your surgeon, you would require removal of the fibrous tissue between your bones, freshening their edges and fixing them back with either plates or wires. This would be followed by tendon repair. The prognosis of the surgery would be as explained earlier. However, the shoe fit and appearance would be much more acceptable than the present one.

Your foot would be in a plaster cast for about 6-8 weeks, till then you could use crutches for moving around. Weight bearing would depend on union of the fracture, checked by serial X-rays. Then you would be advised physiotherapy which can be continued back home.

It would be feasible to perform the surgery under spinal anaesthesia wherein they will insert a small needle in your back and desensitize your feet or under General anaesthesia.

Pardon me as I don't know any foot surgeon in Canada or places nearby.
I am working in Christian Medical College Hospital, India and the total expense here including hospital stay, fees and cost of the surgery would be approximately 500-600 dollars. You would have to stay here for around 2-4weeks. You could follow up in Canada too.

You are welcome here anytime, if you are comfortable with it.

Let me know if there's anything else you want to know. I will be available for your follow up queries.

Thank you and wishing you good health.