Can a CT colonography show colon tumor mestses?

Oncologist, Surgical
Question
Can a ct colonography show colon tumour mestses? My dad told have found a tumour and later will do ct of pelvis, abdomen lungs. Would the first colonography show this in any way?
Posted Sun, 29 Dec 2013 in Cancer

Answered by Dr. Krishna Kiran Kannepalli 33 minutes later
Brief Answer: Ct colonography may show mets but not always Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for the query. CT colonography may show Mets but only if it is combined with CT abdomen. Liver mets will not always be picked up unless the CT has been done with liver specific protocol. Therefore, it is better to go ahead with CT of the chest, abdomen and pelvis. Also a conventional colonoscopy would also be required for tissue diagnosis.

Follow-up: Can a CT colonography show colon tumor mestses? 12 minutes later
My dad ct report says abnormality in right ascending colon. Poss malignant. Further tests needed for staging . This means he has a cancer right? My farher has had anemia for 1 year now and gp did nothing. Does this mean it is now advanced ?

Answered by Dr. Krishna Kiran Kannepalli 34 minutes later
Brief Answer: Need not necessarily be advanced Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for the query. As I have already mentioned, a CT scan of the abdomen and pelvis will give an idea about tumor spread. If the tumor is confined to the colon, it can be surgically removed. You will need further tests such as serum CEA levels for future monitoring. A colonoscopy is a must for making a tissue diagnosis before taking a decision to operate. Very rarely, non malignant conditions such as Crohn's disease can produce a similar picture but the most common cause is malignancy.

Follow-up: Can a CT colonography show colon tumor mestses? 3 hours later
As my father has had anemia for a good year, could that mean spread cancer? Does a colonoscopy still need to confirm the diagnosis or is a ct colonography sufficient? Thanks

Answered by Dr. Krishna Kiran Kannepalli 8 hours later
Brief Answer: Colonoscopy is desirable Detailed Answer: Hi. I think a colonoscopy should be performed. Sometimes nonmalignant lesions in the colon can also cause anemia. Besides, it is a safe procedure that can be done on day care basis

Follow-up: Can a CT colonography show colon tumor mestses? 10 hours later
My dad crp is normal. Can a person have still a cancer with normal crp?

Answered by Dr. Krishna Kiran Kannepalli 27 minutes later
Brief Answer: yes, of course Detailed Answer: All these tests are nonspecific. They carry no relevance to the present problem.

Follow-up: Can a CT colonography show colon tumor mestses? 2 days later
Hi my dads result from ct scan has come back. The radiologist has stated poss t2 or t3. But now they wish to do an mri and we dont lnow why this is ? Is it because they have seen something or to double check? Do lymph nodes show on the ct if cancer has spread to them?

Answered by Dr. Krishna Kiran Kannepalli 20 hours later
Brief Answer: MRI may be necessary if there are liver mets. Detailed Answer: CT scan will pick up lymph nodes if they are enlarged. However, all enlarged nodes need not be involved and all involved nodes need not be enlarged. Definitive evidence of lymph node involvement is only determined after surgery. However if nodes are very large and necrotic, they are considered metastatic. MRI is necessary if liver Mets aree present, especially diffusion weighted MRI to monitor for response to chemotherapy.

Hi I dont think they saw mets as they have stated poss t2 or t3. Why still then would they do mri and not just proceed to surgery?

Answered by Dr. Krishna Kiran Kannepalli 30 hours later
Brief Answer: i can't say Detailed Answer: Hi. In the absence of liver mets I don't understand the need for an MRI for ascending colon tumor. Since I have not examined the patient personally, I cant comment on it. You better clarify it with your doctor.