Can Valsartan Hydrochlorothiazide be taken safely by someone with hypertension?

Cardiologist
Question
My Physician recently prescribed a blood pressure medication called Valsartn HCT 160/25 for me. I read of possible eyesight side effects. Do you happen to know if this drug has a relatively safe history and what are the chances of developing eye/vision issues? Common, uncommon, rare etc. Should I cut them in half to start? Thank you.
Posted Wed, 11 Jan 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that eye problems are a very rare adverse effect of this drug.

More common adverse effects are low blood pressure, hyperkalemia, headache, nausea, dizziness and allergic reactions.

Anyway, I would recommend starting in a lower dose( half a tablet) for one week and then increase the dose to one tablet in order to avoid possible adverse effects and have a better toleration.

Hope to have been helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr.Iliri

Follow-up: Can Valsartan Hydrochlorothiazide be taken safely by someone with hypertension? 1 hour later
Thank you very much for your input. I will take your advice and begin with the 1/2 tablet.

Thanks again,
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome!

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

I am glad to have been helpful to you!

Wishing all the best,

Dr. Iliri