Can Protagard be taken with Xatral? Dosage instructions?

Doc, can I take protagard in addition to xatral xl 10 mg prescribed by hospital? If yes, what dosage?
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Radhika 1 hour later

I am not able to find out which medication Protagard is; but I presume it is Prostagard. Let me know if I am wrong.

Prostagard is a herbal products containing supplements that have been used to treat prostate hypertrophy. It contain nutritional supplement for men containing zinc, vitamins, selenium and other herbal ingredients. This medication is not approved by the food and drugs administration (FDA) in the treatment of prostate ailments as we have yet to have scientific evidences acknowledging its efficacy.

There are also no evidences to suggest its interaction with any other drugs including xatral xl.

As far as Xatral XL is concerned, it should be given with caution to patients who are on antihypertensive medication, anti fungal and drugs for erectile dysfunction. I see that you are hypertensive. Hence keep a watch on your blood sugars while you take xatral. Continue it as suggested by your doctor.

Hope this information is helpful to you. I will be available for follow up queries.

Wish you good health.