Can Ovidrel injections and OTC laxatives lead to false positive result in HPT?

General Surgeon
I had a positive home pregnancy test today, but my concern is a false positive due to the Ovidrel injections I received to trigger ovulation and the "booster" 2 says after insemination. I am due to begin my normal cycle today and have not. I also have had severe constipation, so I have been taking a nightly dose of OTC laxatives...
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 29 minutes later

Human chorionic gonadotropin (HCG), as a marker is used in home for urine pregnancy test.

It is the detection of HCG in the urine or blood that is used to confirm for pregnancy ,as it has found to be highly reliable.

It is produced by the trophoblast cells of the fertilized ovum

HCG has been found to be a reliable marker of pregnancy and but it cannot be detected until after implantation.

It results in false negatives if the test is performed during the very early stages of pregnancy.

As injection Ovidrel also contains HCG,so after injection of HCG containing preparations ,false positive result can occur,.

OTC laxatives taken for constipation has nothing to do with it.

Trans vaginal Obstetric ultrasonography can be done to detect or confirm live intrauterine pregnancy.

You might be pregnant it is better to wait for another 10 days if no periods ,repeat urine for pregnancy test and Trans vaginal Obstetric ultrasonography.

‘Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries, “Wish you Good Health and trouble free speedy recovery”

Follow-up: Can Ovidrel injections and OTC laxatives lead to false positive result in HPT? 52 minutes later
How long after the last Ovidrel injection would a false negative occur, in other words it has been 11 days since injection is that enough time to give an accurate result?
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 7 hours later
Nice to see you again

Intrauterine insemination (IUI), is performed 38-40 hours after the ovidrel injection.

Ovidrel causes a urine pregnancy test to be positive.

Therefore, after injection Ovidrel one should not do or perform a urine pregnancy test for at least 12 days , as one may get a false positive result up to 12 days.

‘Hope I have answered your query, “Wish you Good Health and trouble free speedy recovery”