Can O+ male and female give birth to a healthy baby?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
Can O+ male and female give birth?
Posted Fri, 19 Oct 2012 in Child Birth

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later

Usually blood groups will not have much effect on fertility and pregnancy.
Except in case of Rh-ve blood group of the mother, which can lead to some complications.
Recently some articles have been told that women with O blood group can have lower number of ovarian follicles and quality of the ovum can also be poor.
But there are no proved studies on this matter.
And many people with the O+ve blood group are conceiving naturally like others with different blood groups.
So possibly you may not have any problem in conceiving.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Can O+ male and female give birth to a healthy baby? 50 minutes later
thank you but we have been married for five years now, we are both O positive, no issue yet, we have done urine test and other test also, all negative.. what could we do?

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later

Better to do all basic work-up.
You have to undergo semen analysis.
If that report is normal then your wife has to undergo ultrasound examination around the time of ovulation to know whether ovulation is occurring or not.
Ultrasound can also find out any possible abnormality in the reproductive tract.
If signs of ovulation present in ultrasound you have to plan intercourse around that time. Which will increase the possibility of conception.
If you have undergone these investigations in the past with all normal results and still not conceived, discuss regarding the option of artificial reproductive methods with your doctor.
Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Can O+ male and female give birth to a healthy baby? 21 hours later
what about A+? do they get pregnant easily?

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 20 hours later
According to the same articles which I mentioned before it is said that A+ people are having increasing fertility because of good follicle count and quality.
But there are no proved evidences to any of these.
So better to get treated in general for infertility.