Can Imodium be taken for diarrhea?

I had diarrhea Saturday and took cvs anidiahrea medication. Sunday I had loose stool during the morning and took the same meds, today I had loose stool three times in the morning but did not go all day. I just had ver mild loose stool now. Can I take immodium. Should I wai to see way happens tomorrow
Posted Thu, 27 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Enrique Molina 49 minutes later
Brief Answer: anti diarrheals ok Detailed Answer: hi, it depends on what type of medications is within the "cvs antidiarrhea medication". they may have multiple types with different strenghts, combination of meds, etc. It may very well contain what imodium contains (which is loperamide). Loperamide (or imodium) is a good anti-diarrheal, a pill usually has 2mg. You can take up to 8 pills a day (or 16mg) to be safe, however i would suggest you to take 1 pill every 4 hours as needed. don't take it in combination with any other anti-diarrheal medication. Most diarrheas are self limited, and get better on its own, however if you don't get better over the next 24-48 hours, or if you see blood in the stool or have any fevers, you should seek immediate medical attention. Hope that helped, let me know if you have any other questions