Can I use neo-sporin and band aid for infected toe nail?

one side of my toenail went backwards and I just pulled it off a couple days ago. Today I am unable to sleep because my toe stings real bad. I am soaking in Epsom salt and warm water for the last half hour - but still stinging. I am leaving in 6 hours for a hiking weekend - what can I do to aleviate the pain. It is a little bit red, swollen so I know its infected. Should I just put neo-sporin and band aid for now? Its the toe right next to my pinky toe. I do not have diabetes or ANY health issues ever.
Posted Wed, 4 Dec 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 4 hours later
Brief Answer: you need analgesic and antibiotic Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing to us. Your toe nail has got infected and inflammed. Now to treat the same, continue soaking in warm water twice daily and apply an antibiotic steroid cream to treat infection and inflammation. You may use fluticasone mupirocin combination. Take an antibiotic like amoxicillin or cefixime for few days and an analgesic like diclofenac or ibuprofen. I would advise you to avoid wearing shoes or going for hiking as it may worsen it further. Do not cover the area but keep it clean. Hope this helped. Take care