Can I use imodium safely to control diarrhea?

Question
THANK YOU SO MUCH, I AM ALLERGIC TO VERY MANY DRUGS SULFA, PENICILAN,ON AND ON. I HAVE A URINARY TRAC INFECTION OFF AND ON FOR A LONG TIME, IN THE PAST GENERIC MACROBID WAS TOLERATED. hOWEVER IT NOW CAUSES STOMACH CRAMPS AND DIARRHEA.NO DERIVITIVE OF PENICILAN OR SULFA,IS TOLERATED, CIPRO,ERYTHROMICIN,BIAXIN ALSO. i HAD COLON CANCEER 20 YRS AGO 18" WERE REMOVED. PLEASE ADVISE Can I use imodium safely to control diarrhea?
Posted Fri, 28 Feb 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 44 minutes later
Brief Answer: I have addressed each aspect carefully ma'am Detailed Answer: Hello ma'am and welcome. Thank you for writing to us. I shall try to address each aspect of your query individually in order to ensure to leave no stone unturned in guiding you to the right path and god-willing, to health. I should rightfully start by saying that in all cases of recurrent urinary tract infections (UTI), there is some underlying cause which will have to be made the aim of our treatment, and not the UTI itself. Some of these causes are: -Kidney stones -Ureter stones -Vaginal prolapse -Bladder prolapse -Surrounding organ tumors or inflammation that applies pressure on the renal system, leading to a stagnation of urine and resulting in UTI's and a few other conditions. So I would first advise an elaborate evaluation including an abdominal and pelvic ultrasound, a vaginal examination, a speculum examination, a hysteroscopy after an ultrasound has ruled out renal causes, and other investigations that will help your doctor to find the cause for the recurrent infections. Yes ma'am, you can use imodium for the diarrhea. But if the diarrhea is a side effect to some medication, then discontinuing the medication would be most effective in treating the diarrhea. But if it is the antibiotic that is causing the diarrhea, then the benefits versus risks would point towards continuing the use of antibiotics and symptomatic treatment of the side effects. As for other possible antibiotics that can be used to help treat your infection, for this I would recommend an investigation called a urine culture would which tell us which antibiotics can be used to successfully, rapidly and effectively treat your infection. From this list, once the antibiotics that you are allergic to are cancelled, the remaining antibiotics will be those that we can use to treat you. I hope you find my response both helpful and informative. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you. Best wishes.