Can I use glyceryl trinitrate and transiderm nitro patches to treat high blood pressure?

high blood pressure, 46, male, 5 feet 4 inches, 194 lbscan i use glyceryl trinitrate, transiderm nitro patches to treat my high blood pressure?

Posted Mon, 20 May 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 18 minutes later
Hello sir and welcome to XXXXXXX

Although nitrates have been found to be beneficial in treating patients with high blood pressure, they have been advised in the form of a diet (eg. green leafy vegetables, beetroot, etc.).

Talking specifically about the Transiderm-Nitro patch. First and most importantly, it is never wise to self-medicate, as different individuals react to a certain medication in a different manner, which is why doctor's thoroughly examine a patient and take down their history before prescribing a certain medication.

The next important point is that, Transiderm-Nitro patches are indicated for the following conditions only:
-Prevent attacks of angina (chest pain caused due to cardiac causes)
-To improve blood supply at sites of insertion of a cannula or needle

There is no indication for its use in treating blood pressure. I would thus advise against its use. Also, it should not be used in individuals with:
-Poor liver function
-Individuals who have had a recent heart attack
-Low body temperature
-Poor kidney function
-Lung diseases
-Under-active thyroid
-Low blood pressure
-Head or brain injury
-Narrowing of arteries
-All heart conditions
-Allergies to nitrates

Please consult your family doctor who is well acquainted with your history and general condition for a suitable medication to control your blood pressure.

I hope you found my response helpful and informative. Do write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be happy to help you.

Best wishes.
Follow-up: Can I use glyceryl trinitrate and transiderm nitro patches to treat high blood pressure? 23 minutes later
i plan to ask my doctor for a prescription of this instead of cardura which i'm on now or hydrochlorothiazide which is the next drug I'm supposed to try. i have been eating/juicing nitrate XXXXXXX fruits and vegetables but its not enough to lower my bp to normal. sometimes my bp spikes to 200 over 120 or higher. who's to say that's not an angina attack
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 8 minutes later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Your response was such a treat.

I appreciate your attitude. Yes sir, 200/120 is quite high indeed. And I do not blame you at all for wanting to try other medications, in order to attain a normal blood pressure. This is exactly what your doctor should be trying actually.

As long as your doctor will be providing you with a prescription, which binds/compels him to monitor and supervise you, I can rest assured that you shall not suffer any adverse effects of the drug. Keep your doctor in the loop always.

I hope this information helps. I wish you loads of luck in achieving a normal blood pressure at the earliest.

My best wishes.
Follow-up: Can I use glyceryl trinitrate and transiderm nitro patches to treat high blood pressure? 9 minutes later
do you think that taking extra oxigen from a XXXXXXX oxigen tank, prescription ofcourse, would lower my pressure?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 24 minutes later
Hello once again sir.

While some research has proved that 100 % oxygen could result in a slight increase in blood pressure (http://www.wwww.www); others have proved that pure and 100% oxygen has no effect or does not influence the blood pressure at all ( WWW.WWWW.WW . But, there exists no documented data proving a lowering of blood pressure from 100 % oxygen administration.

Thus, I think we can safely assume that oxygen would not help. So, this can be ruled out as well.

I hope this information helps.

Best wishes.