Can I take Serrapeptase daily? Should consider stopping baby aspirin or wait until my next blood test?

Can I take Serrapeptase daily? If so, should I consider stopping the baby aspirin or wait until my next blood test? Also, when should I be concerned about the high levels of protein (creatnine/albumin) and what will be the expected treatment? My recent lab work in June:

Glucose (fasting) 136
cholesterol 139
triglycerides 70
HDL cholesterol 52
lipid/LDL chol panel
non-hdl.c 87
vldl calculated 14
chol/hdl ratio 2.7
ldl cholesterol 72
(3rd gen) TSH 0.17 ( LOW)
micoAlbumin 1796.3 (HIGH)
alb/creatnine 1089.3
Hemoglobin A1C 7.7 (HIGH) NOTE: Was 11.0 8 months ago when starting insulin)

Posted Thu, 26 Sep 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Dear patient,

Thanks for your health concerns. Serrapeptase, a proteolytic enzyme produced by bacteria, can be taken as a natural supplement, for pain and inflammation, but IT SHOULD NOT replace other medications that you take, such as aspirin. The medications you are on currently have a vast reputation and data from well designed controlled trials; unfortunately, I cannot say the same about Serrapeptase, there are NO randomized controlled data on it, just anecdotes and isolated reports. I see health as an investement, and if you are going to invest on something, there should better be something to back it up.

In terms of the second question, we usually worry about nephrotic range proteinuria, usually microalbumin to creatinine ratios over 2500; the benazepril ypu are taking is intended to help with that; if on further exams this ration keeps increasing, then the dose of the medication might need to be adjusted.

Best regards,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN