Can I put garlic salt and cayenne pepper into nebulizer and inhale to release irritation in my lungs?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
Can I put garlic salt and cayenne pepper into nebulizer and inhale to release irritation in my lungs? I'm 16 weeks pregnant and looking for some natural relief from wheezing and crackling noises in my lungs due to infection residual. are there any other natural alternatives I could use with nebulizer apart from salt water?
Posted Sun, 22 Dec 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Fatbardha Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Garlic,salt,cayenne pepper-irritate lungs, and cause pleuritis, so no. Detailed Answer: Hi my dear, I usually prescribe my patients to inhale salt water with a nebulizer. Garlic and Cayenne pepper are also effective and good choice to relieve runny nose or congested lungs. But, there is a risk of having severe side effects such as : - allergic reaction - damages to the local mucosa or skin when inhaling. Furthermore, you are saying that you have wheezing and crackling noises in your lungs. That could refer to bronchitis, bronchopneumonia and possible pleuritis. Thus, you need to go to ER immediately as you need an immediate treatment with : - antibiotics - bronchodilatators I understand your worries about side effects of drugs on your baby, but, you must get healed first. You are 16 weeks pregnant, almost all the organs of your baby have been "built". So, you should care for you and your baby too. Get immediate medical help! Dr.Bardha