Can I lose weight by stimulating my thyroid on thumb?

can I lose weight by stimulating my thyroid on my thumb (reflexology)
Posted Fri, 9 Nov 2012 in Weight Loss
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 2 hours later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

Such techniques are medically unproven and have no scientific evidence to support their effectiveness. In the field of medicine, treatment options are and should be always evidence-based. i.e. they should be scientifically proven by means of medical research and clinical experience. Though, the proponents of such techniques may have tall claims about their results, there has been no solid medical evidence so far to back such claims.

I would suggest that the best way to lose weight is a combination of healthy dieting and regular physical exercise. This traditional method not only helps you lose weight, but also offers a wide range of other health benefits for your physical as well as psychological well-being.

I would suggest you the following tips:

1) Have a target to decide how much weight you want to lose. You can calculate what the healthy weight for your height should be and find out how much weight you should be losing. Overenthusiastic efforts initially and later on losing motivation will not help. Moreover, sudden excessive weight loss is also not good for your health. So, the first step is to set a healthy weight loss target.

2) The second step is time management - this is quite often overlooked. So, make sure you set aside some time for yourself. For example, decide which part of the day you can dedicate to exercise. Then make a schedule of what time and how long you are going to exercise everyday. Similarly, you can plan a diet schedule for yourself for each day of the week and stick to it. Eat at regular intervals and eat healthy foods. Strictly avoid fast foods, fried foods, sweet foods and carbonated drinks. Eat slowly and enjoy your food.

3) Keep monitoring your progress regularly (for example, checking your weight every week). This will not only keep you in track in your weight loss plan, but will also prevent you from losing motivation. Moreover, once you start seeing results, then that itself will be a motivating factor.

Wish you all the best.

- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar