Can I go for tubes tied in young age? What are the side effects?

Hi, my name is XXXXXXX. I'm twenty-three years old. I don't have any kids, and I don't plan to have ANY in the future. Since, I was a teenager, I always wanted to adopt children. And I'm planning on doing so in the future. What I'm trying to ask here is, if I can get my tubes tied even though I'm young and hadn't have children yet. I already made up my mind, and honestly, I'm tired of my coworkers dropping hints here and there of their disapproval regarding my decision. They keep telling me that I should get marry and have at least two kids, since youngsters my age are already married and have like three kids. I want to get my bachelors, and later on my masters on Media Arts and Animation. I want to work for major movie companies, travel all over the world, XXXXXXX new people, and visit interesting places. I already made up my mind, and I don't want to take any kind of birth control pills. I don't want to worry about unwanted pregnancies anymore. I want to focus in school right now, and other things. At least, I don't have an STD. Am I too young for this procedure? and if I'm not, what are the side effects? Help me out here, doctor. I really need an answer to these inquiries right now.
Posted Fri, 21 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 1 hour later

thanks for your health concerns. In terms of contraceptive methods, intrauterine devices (IUD) can have similar efficacy to birth control pills and are the most cost effective method over a period of 10 years. I congratulate you on your strong goal oriented mind; us in Medicine face important decisions like that during training. I believe that the XXXXXXX of children is unique whether biologic or adopted. In terms if age, you are indeed young but that would not be a specific contraindication to surgical procedure. the main issue for you to have in mind is that for the most part, ligation is an irreversible procedure... I have seen women making that early decision in their lives and regret it later on... but at the end of the day it is your informed choice and not your coworkers... I encourage you to think about your options.
Tubal ligation is a routine procedure but associated with some risk of bleeding, infection, chronic pain.

Hope this helps you think through, truly yours

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN
Follow-up: Can I go for tubes tied in young age? What are the side effects? 38 minutes later
Thanks for your answer doctor. I've been reading about tubal ligation for a couple of months, and I'm aware that it is an irreversible procedure. I'm going to re-think my options. Where can I get an IUD device inserted? If that't the correct way of saying it.
that is correct, IUD is the name. any family physician or gynecologist should be able to offer the procedure. It is safe and takes less than 30 minutes. the main side effect are heavier menses but if your body tolerates well satisfaction with device is really good

truly yours