Can I go for swimming after having knee surgery?

Can I go for swimming after three months of the surgery that I have undergone to my right knee? I can walk fine but there is a cracking sound of bones that will be coming very often. I cannot run yet. Please let me know whether I can go for swimming as I put on 10kgs of weight after the surgery.
Posted Fri, 15 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 10 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Swimming is a straneous exercise. This may damage the healing process in the joint.

Do restrict swimming for another 3 months to allow healthy healing. You can go for a brisk walk instead.

Follow-up: Can I go for swimming after having knee surgery? 6 hours later
Should I continue the physiotherapy exercises that have been prescribed by the doctor? I have stopped doing them since a month and will this effect the healing process? When I do the exercises I will get rubbing sound of the bones. Will this sound and the adjusting of bones go in due course of time? If I need to continue the exercise how long do I need to continue?
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 14 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing back.

Yes, do continue the Physiotherapy till you stop feeling the pain and experiencing the sounds. The sounds and the crepitus would surely vanish once your joint is set by Physio.