Can I give cow milk to a 3 month baby?

I am having 3 month Baby , please suggest me can i start COW milk .
Currently she is taking Nestle NAN 1 and having Soft cleft palate and hole in the heart problem .Baby had never taken mother milk and not gaining weight from the day one .

Posted Sat, 10 Nov 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

Answering your query first: you can give cow's milk to your daughter. Beyond 3 month age there is no need of diluting the milk before giving.

If your child is not gaining weight then the following things have to be considered:
1. Is the child being given adequate quantity of feeds?
2. Is the feed being properly constituted? The ratio of milk powder and water have to be appropriate. If it is diluted then weight gain may not be there.
3. Is something else preventing the weight gain?

In light of the cleft palate and heart problem it is best to consult the treating doctor and discuss the various issues so that you get the right advice.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or want to share any new fact regarding the present issue.

Wishing your daughter all the best...