Can I drink alcohol if I am on antitubercular treatment?

one of my friend is on antitubercular treatment for d last 5 months as she was diagnosed wid TB query is can she take alcohol very occasionally.i knw there is risk of liver injury wid ATT N ALCOHOL but can one drink in a week harm liver if she is on ATT also.also is there any XXXXXXX interaction between alcohol and ATT.
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 9 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

Let me provide you with some information regarding alcohol while taking medication used to treat tuberculosis. I do not necessarily see a major problem if she is only going to drink a single alcoholic beverage on a weekly basis. As you know there can be some effect of alcohol on liver enzymes which are used to process the medication which she is taking for the tuberculosis.

It is not necessarily an effect of the medication interacting with the alcohol. It is more of an effect that alcohol affects some of the liver enzymes which process the medication and if these enzymes are affected significantly it can raise or lower the drug level.

As I mentioned I do not see a problem with her enjoying a single alcoholic beverage on a weekly basis. Again I caution on any drinking more than that as it may significantly affect the level of medication in her body. It is of course extremely important that she complete the full course of therapy which has been prescribed by her physician.

Thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you have found my answer to be both informative and helpful. If you have additional concerns I am available to address them.

Dr. Robert