Can I crush Citalopram and take it with a spoon of jam? Can I empty the Omeprazole capsule and take it?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am currently taking citaliprm 20 mg for depression and omeprozol for acid reflux. However i struggle to swallow tablets, can i crush the citalopram to powder and take it with a spoon of jam? And can i empty the omeprozol capsual and take this in the same way?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 2 hours later
Hi there.

I can understand your concern in attempting to take this medication.

Citalopram is to be crushed and consumed with XXXXXXX or orange juice specifically and it to be drunk immediately.

Yes, you can empty the capsule into a half filled glass of water and drink it immediately.

Also follow the following precautions.

Avoid spicy or oily food. Eat a diet XXXXXXX in proteins, fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Drink plenty of water.

Avoid lying down immediately after eating a meal. Lie at an angle with pillow support under your upper back for half an hour after a meal and after that you may lie down. Avoid junk food, smoking, alcohol as these aggravate your acid reflux. You may have a glass of cold milk at night to reduce the symptoms of acid reflux.

Get 6-8 hours of sleep daily. Do Yoga for stress relief. Take your medication on time.

Omeprazole is best taken half an hour before the meal, once or twice a day as your Doctor recommends.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wishing good health.