Can HIV test results change in 3 months?

HIV AIDS Specialist
I had an oral sex and i did 3 test in the 28th day after exposure , they came all negative . Please help me are those test conclusive . Is it possible the test results can change in 3 months? How accurate is my results . Please Help Me and thank you. HIV DNA, PCR/HIV Ab(HIV-1 Antibody) HIVāˆ’DNA by PCR(HIV 1/O/2 Abs, Qual) HIV DNA RT by PCR(HIV-1 DNA)
Posted Tue, 3 Dec 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Oral sex low risk. HIV1 infection ruled out. Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for posting your query. First of all oral sex carries a very low risk for HIV when compared to anal and vaginal sex. So you need not worry much. You had HIV DNA PCR test alone and combined with antibody test against HIV, then another with a combination of HIV antibody 1&2 on 28th day after your risky exposure. DNA PCR after 28 days is more confirmatory than even the antibody test and it becomes conclusive after 4 weeks. So you need not bother about HIV1 as the most of DNA PCR detects HIV1 antigen unless specified as it is also detecting HIV2. A combo Antibody test against HIV2 you had, would not be sensitive for HIV 2 antibodies after 4 weeks as HIV Antibodies will take 8-12 weeks to appear in circulation. So it is confirmed that you are HIV 1 free which is more common (More than 99%) in any population other than western and southern sahara countries (African). Better it has to be confirmed once again after three months with an antibody test detecting both HIV 1&2 and feel more relieved. But as oral contact is having low risk and HIV1 infection is so common and as it had been ruled out there is only negligible risk for HIV2 as far as you concerned. Dr S.Murugan
Follow-up: Can HIV test results change in 3 months? 4 hours later
So can I put this story behind me and consider myself conclusive and move on with my life . Its been 5 weeks now after my exposure , do i need another tests to add . Please doctor I am a married man and I cant wait 3 months please help me . Thank you so Much!
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 2 hours later
Brief Answer: HIV2 specific PCR available at selective centers. Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome back. You can have safe sex with your wife till 3 months. Otherwise you can request for HIV2 PCR Test specifically from certain big laboratory and have the test and confirm that you are free from HIV2, so that you will be doubly sure that you are totally free from HIV1&2. Otherwise Feel easy with oral sex that the chances of getting HIV disease is low. DR S.Murugan