Can HIV be transmitted through a bite on the lips?

HIV AIDS Specialist
Hello, I'm bi and was kissing a guy at a XXXXXXX club. He was biting my lip rather hard a few times which I didn't like. The next day, I noticed his biting had caused a few minor cuts in my lip, butc there was no blood, I also didn't taste any blood the night we were kissing.

If he was HIV positive, would there be any chance of him infecting me? It was dark in the club, so I wouldn't have noticed if he had any cuts or sores in his mouth.
Posted Sun, 21 Apr 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 2 hours later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

As per Center for Disease Control, Atlanta, HIV transmission through a bite is negligible.
Even if the guy had a cut in his mouth or some other oral infection and even if he is a HIV positive individual it carries only a low probability of HIV transmission. So you need not worry.
But at the same time it better for you to have HIV screening 3 months after this incident to rule out HIV safely and also to relax for ever.
Good luck to you.
Dr S.Murugan