Came in contact with IV Insulin drip of a HIV positive person. Chances of getting infected?

HIV AIDS Specialist
Hi, I have a question for you of course. I was In the hospital to visit one of my friends 4-5 months ago. while i was there i came into contact with some of their IV Insulin drip. I just learned that they are positive for HIV. The skin on my hand was intact and there was no contact with blood just the medication. What should i do and what are the chances that i am infected?
Posted Mon, 22 Apr 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 19 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX

The chances of getting HIV by your hospital visit and came in contact with IV Drip set is negligible. You would not have got HIV through this route.
Just imagine health care providers ( Doctors in emergency room, ENT Specialist, Dental surgeon, Obstetrician, STD specialist, Nurses, laboratory technicians, Assistants, scavengers, family members at home) world wide are daily caring their patients, not always with gloved hands, as it leads to stigmatization and discrimination. HIV children and orphans are handled with bare hands. No body gets the disease unless there is needle prick with infected blood.
I am handling daily not less than 20 HIV patients for more than 20 years. I haven't got the disease so far.
So relax and your chances of getting HIV is almost nil.
Good luck to you.
DR S.Murugan
Follow-up: Came in contact with IV Insulin drip of a HIV positive person. Chances of getting infected? 2 hours later
Thank you for the piece of mind
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later
You are most welcome.
If you have no more queries you can close this conversation.
Dr S.Murugan