CT showed radical nephrectomy in kidney, perforated colon. Having diarrhea. Chances of kidney cancer?

I am very worried about my husband. On 03/30/12 he had a perforated colon and wound up in the hospital er admit for that and we found out he also had RCC.. they removed 75% of colon and rectum, non cancerous and rescheduled a radical nephrectomy left kidney on 06/14/2012, tb2N0 M not mentioned, 7.5cm supposedly confined to the kidney..Op report showed it was a furhmang grade 3 Conventional clear cell. The urologist took the kidney and said basically, well you should be good to go, we took the kidney with all the cancer, no follow up needed, you are released from my care..Me not liking this response as it did not make any sense, I took my husband back to pcp and he was given a pneumonia shot, and a referral to an oncologist. The oncologist had him go through testing for a clinical trial, but he was not eligible due to lack of colon, diarreah, etc. He was taken off the list for trial..In August the oncologist said we will do a CT scan 6 months from surgery date, come back In December... CT done, came back with a 1 cm enlarged paraortic lymph node, lungs showed scattered reticular opacities right lung, liver showed hpodensity on liver 2 different places on the kidney, to small to determine, final CT "no definate evidence of recurrence". The oncologist says, well take your blood work and CT results back to pcp as you will need follow up in between your next CT scan in XXXXXXX 2013.. So we go back to pcp as he is not getting a cough, will no go away, she gives him a z pack and says well now follow up with a new oncologist, and we did... The new ocologist says to us, well this is a small kidney cancer, we are doing what is called surveillance on your organs with CT scans, the December CT showed this enlarged lymph node, I would like to do a PET scan next month March, and follow up with a CT in May.. So I said well why did the prior oncologist not want to be so concerned and do a PET scan and CT with 5 months of prior CT like you? and she shrugged her shoulders. I asked for a copy of hi blood work, they told me I cannot have it because they send it out? Really this is an ONCOLOGIST office who specializes in BLOOD right there in the office... Really I feel so stupid, why the run around? this is his life, and I would like to knwo what is going on, and if this is normal behavior when someone has cancer.. I need answers as to why the PET scan, and CT scan.. Please ehlp me understand. Thank you so much Mira
Posted Mon, 4 Mar 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
from what you describe, it is quite probable there there is a cancer that is already or has actually spread already. The distribution of lung and liver lesions are characteristic. Abnormal blood levels and cells are also common common with these cancers.
A PET scan is usually important and grading the degree of spread and a CT Scan to determine the extent of invasion of a particular region. I might want to think that they certainly refused to give you results maybe they were protecting patients confidentiality, may be did not want you to easily get discouraged to continue a particular treatment plan which could actually improve the state of health of your patient.
I would love that you continue following the treatment protocols prescribed by your oncologist, but its worth saying that he almost certainly has a cancer that is almost widespread already. Survival chances depend on early diagnosis, treatment options offered and compliance to particular treatment plans. Its worth mentioning that patients usually respond to these protocols differently.
I suggest you keep this in mind, follow your doctor s prescriptions and continue taking good care and motivating your patient morally for its of utmost importance.
Hope this helps as I wish you just the best. Would be honored answering further questions if any,
Thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.
Follow-up: CT showed radical nephrectomy in kidney, perforated colon. Having diarrhea. Chances of kidney cancer? 16 hours later
Hello sir, I really do appreciate your response, and I thank you so much for be honest. I do not have any more questions for you. At least now I can start working on some of the things that might be coming our way going forward. Have a good day. TY
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Thanks for your comments and I wish you the best of health.
Thanks once again and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.