CT scan shows focal cortical hypodensity involving right parafalcine occipital region. What does this mean?

Nov 2013

In my son's report it says head CT scan showed a small focal cortical hypodensity involving the right parafalcine occipital region. What does this mean? Thanks
Posted Thu, 20 Sep 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 4 hours later
Thank you for contacting Healthcare Magic.
You have mentioned that the CT scan report of your 13-year old son shows a small focal cortical hypodensity in the right parafalcine occipital region. I presume he has no symptoms at present, and this CT scan was routinely performed; or it may have been one of the old reports.
The common likely causes in your son's case for the CT scan finding are: 1. Old hypoxic-ischemic injury, 2. Old infarct (due to old blood clot in brain), 3. Related to old truama (if any)
Hypoxia (less oxygen supply) and ischemia (less blood flow) at the time of birth is the most likely cause of hypodensity on CT in your son's case. Occipital (and parietal) regions are especially prone to develop this finding. However, it is reassuring to note that it does not usually lead to any symptoms and the your son would remain well. As this is often an incidental finding on CT, no treatment (medical or surgical) is necessary for this.
I hope I have clarified your doubts. Please get back if you have any more queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Health City, Hyderabad