CT scan showing prominent portal vein. Should I be worried about the findings?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2014
May 2014

Radiologist
Question
Ct impression of dominant portal vein secondary prominence if neck if pancreas
Posted Sun, 24 Nov 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks for writing in to us. I have read through your query in detail. The pancreas is an organ in the mid upper portion of the abdomen as your are aware. The pancreas is important for producing enzymes for digestion and substances like insulin and glucagon. It is divided into four portions, head, neck, body and tail. There is the portal vein which runs behind the neck region. In your CT scan, the portal vein is found to be prominent (little big but not abnormal). This is causing the neck of pancreas to be little bit more prominent. No one should confuse this for any disease condition. Therefore the mention in your report. Hope your query is answered. Do write back in case of doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek

Follow-up: CT scan showing prominent portal vein. Should I be worried about the findings? 10 hours later
Will this cause severe right side thru back pain after eating and laying down severe I had gallbladder removed in 2009 And had splint put in Pancreas 2011

Brief Answer: Yes any surgery can cause pain at operated site Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks for writing back with an update. It is important to know that any surgery may cause persistent pain in the region even months or years later. The CT scan abdomen was probably done to look for a treatable cause if any. Since there is no other problems detected in the region, your surgeon might think of putting you on short term medications depending on your exact symptoms. Please do inform your doctor in detail about any associated symptoms like vomiting and GERD. The onset, nature and pattern of pain is also important. Hope your query is answered. Do write back in case of doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek

Follow-up: CT scan showing prominent portal vein. Should I be worried about the findings? 38 hours later
I downloaded lab and test results to preview Thx

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Welcome Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, You are welcome and thanks for writing back with an update. Hope the results are normal for you. Wishing you good health. Do write back if you need further information. Regards, Dr.Vivek