CT scan showed the ureter and upper pole kidney has mild dilatation. Any suggestion?

Urologist
Question
I did medical check and incidently found an ureterocele on my blader that connect to upper pole of left kidney, I dont have any symtoms. But Ct scan show that the ureter and upper pole kidney has mild dilatation.What should I do?
Posted Fri, 1 Mar 2013 in Kidney Conditions

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 1 hour later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
I had a good look at the CT.
You need to undergo what is called INCISION OF THE URETEROCELE.
This is a simple procedure done via cystoscopy. There is no need for open surgery.
A urine tube will be inserted for 2 days. You may go home after tube removal.
This will help to retain the function of the particular moiety( portion) of the kidney.
Best regards
DR GS

Follow-up: CT scan showed the ureter and upper pole kidney has mild dilatation. Any suggestion? 2 hours later
Then what if the result is good? or is bad? what to do next? By the way result of my kidney function from clinical chemistry has good result.I mean are you sure this will make my upper pole kidney better? without any complication like reflux?

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 10 hours later
This is the only proven way to relieve the block and preserve the function, although it cannot be made better, it can preserve existing function.
Reflux is an issue, but relief of obstruction is a must.
Upper pole may lose function in the long run and hence hemi-nephrectomy may be needed if it loses function.

Follow-up: CT scan showed the ureter and upper pole kidney has mild dilatation. Any suggestion? 18 minutes later
any way to test / make sure that the upper pole kidney is still in good function since its been 37 years blocked since i born.?

The CT done is good enough. It shows that the part is functioning.
ISOTOPE RENOGRAM gives percentage function of the kidneys.
Best regards
DR GS

I am just afraid of cystoscopy ( something goes to my penis) . It is painful? any damage can be caused by this to the penis? or any other method for surgery option?

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 14 minutes later
Welcome back.
It is a straight- forward procedure and there should be no worry. It is done under anesthesia.
Rarely urethral stricture (narrowing) can occur due to passage of the cystoscope, but it is treatable.
This is the method of choice. Open procedure is no more performed for adult ureterocele.
Best regards
DR GS