CT scan showed enlarged spleen. Having low haemoglobin levels. What treatment should be done?

Hi there,

During the CT sceen , i found that my wife has ENLARGED SPLEEN problem .

the reason for the CT (computerized Tomography) scan of the abdomen is Low HB level at 6..
the size of the spleen that is measured as three times of its normal size..

I know low HB level can cause serious complication in future pregencey..could you please advice regarding the treatment options?

Posted Wed, 29 Aug 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Ioan Dorian OANA 1 hour later

You should not think at the moment to the serious complication of the low HB level in future pregnancy, because this low HB level might be life threatening and your wife should be hospitalized and fully investigated as soon as possible.

An enlarged spleen can cause your body to destroy red blood cells faster than they can be made. There are a lot of other causes too which can cause low hemoglobin count.

Treatment for an enlarged spleen focuses on relieving the underlying condition and in this case increasing the level of HB should be the main target. But first step here should be excluding some other serious diseases.

Have the doctor checked the lactate dehydrogenase level? The CT has showed any more enlarged lymph nodes?

I am looking forward to your answer.

If you have any more queries, feel free to ask.

Dr. Dorian Oana MD, PhD