CT scan revealed the absence of left mastoid air cells. Meaning?

Oncologist, Surgical
My CT scan revealed the absence of left mastoid air cells. What does that mean?
Posted Mon, 27 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 11 hours later
Dear Ma'am,

Sorry to hear about your problem. Absent mastoid cells are sometimes be congenital or can sometimes occur due to the presence of fluid or infection in that area. These cells help in conduction of sound and in case they are absent, sometimes the sound conduction can be hampered.
You should consult an ENT specialist and have your ears checked for possible infections. As I said, sometimes it is a normal variant and does not require any treatment.
It certainly is nothing to be alarmed about and is not related to cancer.

Hoping for the best. Please feel free to clarify any other query.